- This event has passed.
Resources for a Green church
June 12, 2021 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pm UTC+0Free
Our online conference considers the important part that the Church might play in addressing the Climate Change Emergency.
• We explore Climate Change as an existential crisis which demands an
urgent response from the Church which goes beyond social justice.
• We uncover new resources within Biblical theology that help us to root
our response in scripture.
• We open ourselves to new liturgies for worship which help us to
ensure that our spiritual journey with Christ is in step with the
rhythms of God’s creation.
• We learn from pioneering Christians who are already connecting faith
and action in response to the Climate Change Emergency.
• We close by considering what a Green Church looks like and what
more we need to do to develop communities of change that support
people’s transition towards a green lifestyle.
If you think that the Climate Change Crisis really is an emergency, and that the Church has something important to offer in helping people transition to new ways of living more gently with God’s world, then this conference is for you.
• Prof Richard Bauckham – Biblical Theology for a Green Church
Biblical Scholar and writer of books including: “Bible and Ecology:
Rediscovering the Community of Creation.”
• Fr Diarmuid O’Murchu – Climate Change as an Existential Crisis
Catholic Theologian and writer of books on Science and Religion
including his latest: “Doing Theology in an Evolutionary Way”
• Fr Steven Shakespeare – Liturgy and Prayer for a Green Church
Philosopher and Theologian and writer of books including: “The Earth
Cries Glory: Daily Prayer with Creation”
• Chair: Rt Hon John Battle
• Mollie Pugmire – COP26: what are we doing to campaign?
Joint Public Issues Team, London
• Anna Bland – Craftivism for COP26
Leeds Methodist Mission
• Jon Swales – The Church as a Prophetic Community
Christian Climate Action, Leeds
• Steve Hollinghurst – Green Church and Evangelism
Evangelism Enabler Environmental Focus, Lichfield Diocese
• Nick Waterfield – The God Plot – the City Allotment and Green Church
Parson Cross Initiative, Sheffield